Sawyer's Gone Wild

This is the story of 5 people, 3 of which are short, living in Oklahoma. Tom, Phylliese, Raiden, Merry and Joy welcome you to their life...

Thursday, May 11, 2006

You Call That Sweet Tea?


Growing up the Georgia Peach that I am, I have always longed for having sweet tea regularly in Oklahoma. Not the unsweetened tea that you add sugar to variety. But southern style sweet tea. The craziest thing has happened around here. Restaurants are starting to carry sweet tea in Oklahoma!!!


At first I was quite skeptical. The more places I tried the better the tea is. I took the time to compile a list of the best sweet tea places in Oklahoma.

5. Fuddrucker's in Tulsa - This one surprised me because it was not better than it really was. Fuddrucker's is one of my all-time favorite places for burgers and their tea just wasn't great. They did have real lemons to add to the tea so that helped.

4. My mom's house - She is the one that started it all. Growing up she would make sweet tea. However, none of us would drink the tea until it has been in the refrigerator for more than a day. After that it was PURE HEAVEN!!! I know she should be higher on my list but I do not get to have it as often as I would like.

3. Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler - I have found that the tea at Johnnie's versus Johnnie's Express is different. My first visit to the Johnnie's on I-240 was a enlightening experience. I almost cried because the tea was very close to my mom's and it was great! However, the last few times I have been there the tea has left a lot to be desired.

2. Swadley's Bar-B-Q South OKC - OH MY GOODNESS!!! Talk about sweet. The manager told me that his recipe is 3-4 cups of sugar. Plus he has to throw the tea out everynight because it becomes syrup. Thats AWESOME!!! My only knock against them is that the use lemon juice packets and not real lemons.

1. Johnnie's Express Danforth Rd. - Anytime, which isn't very often, that Phylliese says, "Where do you want to go for dinner?" This is my first answer. The sweet tea at Johnnie's Express is very close to my mom's recipe. Its GREAT!!!

I know you all feel better knowing where to go to get sweet tea. You can thank me later. :)

3 Comments:

  • At 12:55 PM, Blogger Dustin said…

    "Not the unsweetened tea that you add sugar to variety. But southern style sweet tea."

    Given your preference for #2, I'm curious how you make the tea sweet without some variation of sugar. Am I missing something?

    I'd agree though, it's hard to beat a sweet tea with some meals.

     
  • At 11:41 AM, Blogger Audrey said…

    You would be glad to know that Carson drinks sweet tea and milk only. That's right, NO juice. He doesn't like it. I do start out with my tea nice and sweet but, unfortunately for him I water it down to dilute it. But, really that is what he drinks. I am famous in my family for sweet tea. Hope you guys can come over on Sat. night you can try it out.

     
  • At 12:45 PM, Blogger Jeny said…

    We understand the southern tradition of sweet tea! It will be served at our house too!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home